Do The Thrashers Have Large Talons?

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

A Look at The 2008 Draft

The Thrashers season is basically over except for evaluating what went wrong and who's to blame. The team should be giving a couple of youngsters a look but is nearly out of recall options so that limits how many people can be called up.

I know some of you want to start thinking about the 2008 draft so below are two lists of the top picks according to some public scouting agencies. One thing to keep in mind is that Don Waddell has said that the team may very well trade a top pick to get a roster player.

I'll probably post a bit less in the near term. My day job and my night job are demanding a lot of attention and frankly I'm rather discouraged about the Thrashers franchise at the moment. So here's some names if you want to go do some research on your own. Feel free to post who you like in the comments section.


Red Line Report recent update in USA Today. Red Line Report has been around for a long time but they are known for having strong opinions that sometimes sharply differ from other NHL scouts.
February Top 10
1. C Stamkos
2. LW Filatov
3. D Doughty
4. D Bogosian
5. D Pietrangelo
6. D Schenn
7. RW Bodker
8. LW Beach
9. C Wilson, Colin
10 C Hodgson

The February ISS (International Scouting Service) Top 30 Ranking posted on Hockey's Future
Most of the players are from the three Canadian Major Junior leagues, those that are playing elsewhere are noted.

February Top 30
1. Stamkos C
2. Filatov LW - Russia
3. Doughty D
4. Hodgson C
5. Pietrangelo D
6. Beach C
7. Bogosian D
8. Schenn D
9. Wilson C - NCAA
10 Boedker LW
11 Boychuk LW
12 Ennis C
13 Tedenby LW - Sweden
14 Myers D
15 Grachev C - Russia
16 Robak D
17 Nemisz C
18 Eberle C
19 Carlson D - USHL
20 Bailey C
21 Del Zotto D
22 Teubert D
23 Ness D - Minnesota HS
24 Voinov D - Russia
25 Gardiner D - Minnesota HS
26 D. Toews LS - Minnesota HS
27 Colborne LW - AJHL
28 Wahl C
29 Jenks C
30 Sbisa D

Looks like a lot of quality defensemen throughout the first round. Russian players will likely drop some due to concerns over getting them signed.

6 Comments:

  • Speaking of prospects, who do you like in case the current head coach/gm do not return (I will understand if you take the fifth. I read a pretty good article recently in the Hockey News that listed a number of candidates for the Maple Leaf job. I guess most would apply for the Thrashers as well. I always liked Craig Patrick when he was with the Pens.

    By Blogger Michael, at 10:12 AM  

  • Thanks again for all your hard work on this, even during what has turned out to be a disappointing season. Things are never as good as they seem or as bad as they seem, I guess. Anyway, I just wanted to express my thanks again--I always look forward to your insight and perspective.

    By Blogger Michael, at 10:29 AM  

  • I would think Jim Nill is the to GM candidate out there but I believe he signed some sort of contract that keeps him with the Wings for the next couple of years.

    After him I'm not sure. Craig Patrick is probably a top choice. He has a lot of experience. I haven't given it a ton of thought to be honest.

    If I were an owner I'd give some serious thought to trying to hire away the scouting director of the Sharks or Senators given their extraordinary level of success in the draft each year.

    By Blogger The Falconer, at 11:07 AM  

  • Some of the names on the A list were David Conte, Devils director of scouting, Jim Nill like you said, David McNab Ducks assistant GM, Steve Yzerman, Tom Anastos, commissioner of the Central Collegiate Hockey Association (Lou Lamoriello's old post), Steve Tambellini, Canucks assistant GM, Les Jackson, co GM of the Stars. There was a B list and a C list too.

    By Blogger Michael, at 11:14 AM  

  • I guess my comments are moot if the AJC report is correct. Of course, the history of sports is replete with examples of individuals fired after a vote of confidence.

    By Blogger Michael, at 2:17 PM  

  • If that is the case, I would like to give a vote of confidence to The Falconer.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to my website?
View My Stats