Do The Thrashers Have Large Talons?

Sunday, April 16, 2006

Biggest Day in Thrasher History, Part 2

Wow, the fortunes of the Atlanta Thrashers continue to twist and turn like a M. Night Shyamalan movie. After a stirring come from behind victory on Saturday I went home to watch the Lightning Carolina game. I had been planning to go see the Gladiators 1st ECHL playoff game on Saturday, but I realized that I would be sitting in the stands obsessing about the score in the Tampa game so I stayed home instead. My friend JK Sockey came over and we agonized as the Tampa and Montreal games played out.

Tampa won in OT versus Carolina and it seemed that the Thrashers chances were going down in flames. Carolina had a 5 on 3 where they didn't score and a clean cut breakaway that John Grahame snuffed out. Each Carolina missed scoring opportunity was like a kick in the stomach.

When the Tampa game went to commercial break, I switched over to see the end of the Montreal game where to my surprise Buffalo had taken a 3-2 lead. Montreal only needed to get a point in their final three games to clinch a playoff berth, so I had given up hope of catching them. But here they were losing in regulation to Buffalo and still lacking that single point that would punch their playoff ticket.

Then today (Sunday) New Jersey beat Philadelphia, which has huge effect on the final Montreal game. New Jersey not has the possibility of home ice in the first round if they win their final game and so we can expect to see Brodeur and a regular lineup on Tuesday night.

If the Thrashers can beat Washington on Monday night, the NHL will see an extraordinary night on Tuesday as three NHL teams battle to see who will get the final two Eastern Conference playoff berths. The CenterIce remote will get a workout as the three different games start at 7:00 and 7:30 for the ultimate climax to a crazy season. If the Thrashers pull this out and make the playoffs this will be a run that fans will talk about for years.

3 Comments:

  • I thought long and hard about adding both Hossa and Kovalchuk for my second All-Star team, but in the end Cheechoo and Heatley got the nod.

    Cheechoo because of his late season surge scoring clutch goals when it really really mattered, Heatley for his awesome blend of "eurotrash" (See Golbez MVP Jagr vs Thornton post) and his Brind'Amour-like defensive work.

    Maybe I am biased since I've seen Heatley and Cheechoo play way more than Kovalchuk and Hossa.

    I do hope that Atlanta sneaks into the playoffs. Atlanta is the closest thing this league has to a true run-and-gun team.

    By Blogger Ingmar "W" Bergman, at 6:18 PM  

  • Hello by the way. Finally! A Thrashers blog.

    I'm afraid I've totally missed your great blog.

    I love the Trashers because as I said in my previous post, they are the closest thing the NHL has to a true run-and-gun team.

    What defense?

    I'll be rooting for the Thrashers, and I'll definitely add you to my roll-call.

    /Berg

    By Blogger Ingmar "W" Bergman, at 6:20 PM  

  • Thanks Berg.

    I started the blog because the only ones I could find were either defunct or corporate (AJC or Blueland Blog). I felt there was a need for a fan blog.

    By Blogger The Falconer, at 2:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Who links to my website?
View My Stats